[Imports-us] License discussions

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 01:43:41 UTC 2014

Hey folks,

I tried to make this clear in another thread, it seems something must
have happened.

While license discussions about OSM are important, and we all have our
views and passions about them, I'd really like to avoid them here if
possible.

The reasons are several fold:

1. We have several places to talk about licenses, like the talk lists
and the LWG

2. Relicensing OSM is outside the scope of the US, and outside the
scope of imports[1]

3. They're really inflammatory

The caveat for [1] is this discussion about reciprocal licenses. I
actually brought it up in Birmingham. I think it's an interesting
idea, but it's something to discuss at the Foundation level.

We obviously need to discuss local data licenses, but I'd really like
to avoid a lot of license advocacy if at all possible, just to keep
things from flaming up, which seems to always happen during license
discussions.

- Serge