[Imports-us] Restarting NYC building and address imports

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Tue Feb 18 04:25:08 UTC 2014

## Summary of NYC building footprint import

Conversation on imports-us hangout [1] tonight went well. We're ready to
start again. I'm summarizing our conversation here and at the same time
updating the imports list for consideration.

- All conversion issues discovered in latest review round have been
addressed [1] [2]
- Almost all issues in data already updated to OSM have been addressed and
there is a plan for the ones that haven't been updated yet [3]
- All data has been reexported
- The import has been restructured from a community import with import
sessions on the ground to a smaller group of volunteer mappers and folks
from the mapbox team running the uploads. This makes coordination easier
and makes it easier to ensure proper introduction to a quite complex task.
- We have beefed up documentation and added a common issues section
https://github.com/osmlab/nycbuildings/wiki - the documentation is linked
from the tasking server
- Participating mappers are listed on the wiki, get in touch if you'd like
to participate https://github.com/osmlab/nycbuildings/wiki

Next steps:

- We plan to start first test imports of 10 voting districts by Friday if
no further blockers arise.
- Until then we will review 5 percentage points more of the data that's
already uploaded (get up to 355 validated districts from 239)
- Provided no issues arise, we will pick up import again in the week of the
24th.

Looking forward to your comments / feedback.

Imports-us group: please add if I'm missing anything from my summary.

[1] Present: Ian Dees, Richard Welty, Serge Wroclawski, Paul Norman, Toby
Murray, Clifford Snow, Saikrishna Arcot, Aaron Lidman, Alex Barth
[2] https://github.com/osmlab/nycbuildings/issues/88
[3]
https://github.com/osmlab/nycbuildings/issues?labels=&page=1&state=closed
[4]