[Imports-us] Geopolitical divisions in Ohio

David Days david.c.days at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 17:50:13 UTC 2014

Greetings, all.

I am a new user to OpenStreetMap, but a long-time software developer.
 Currently, I'm working on a project that would benefit from having
political subdivisions in the state of Ohio represented on a map.  A quick
run through of the import history page doesn't show any similar data sets,
so it appears that the results could be a worthwhile contribution.

To clarify, "political subdivisions" means not only the standard mapping
features (city, village, county), but also township, voting wards and
precincts, congressional districts, etc.  Some of these divisions are
atomic (don't cross other jurisdictional lines), while others can cross
several larger groups.

The intent is to start with one county at first, then expand as the project
grows.  That translates into roughly 100 subdivisions, of which 75+ are
non-city/town/village in the first data set.

I'm planning on getting local experts within the areas described to
manually create the mapping features at first, but eventually I would like
to take other public domain data that's coming available and import it on a
large scale.

(As for licensing and reuse--the political divisions themselves are public
domain, and I'm the owner of the project; even though the primary purpose
is narrow, I thought that OSM and everyone else could benefit from having
this map available).

With all of that in mind:

   1. Good idea, ok, or really, really bad idea?
   2. Reuse of existing datapoints is probably important (these divisions
   usually follow clear boundaries, so finding existing boundary or markers
   would cut down on the import size).  Pointers or gotchas?
   3. Import scale:  Ohio has 88 counties, with probably 100 of these
   subdivisions on average.  If the entire idea is acceptable, would
   per-county imports work better for the community, or would it be better to
   get it all together and push it all at once?
   4. Maintenance:  Most of these areas are pretty stable--about 100 out of
   the whole state get reworked every 10 years.  Is this a factor, and how
   much commitment to maintenance should I factor in?

And of course anything else that people can think of.

I appreciate you time, and look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,
David Days