[Imports-us] Geopolitical divisions in Ohio

Carol Kraemer cakraemer at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Feb 25 21:39:28 UTC 2014

Serge,

Has there been discussion yet about creating a list of base layer datasets
> (imports or survey)  that OSM would encourage contributors to focus on?
>

>>Imports are only shortcuts for getting data in that we already would
collect manually.

I did say imports or survey (meaning manual edits). I apologize if that was
not clear.

Also, creating a list of datasets considered inappropriate for the main map
> might steer contributors and their communities into a direction that would
> help reduce some of the friction, especially during the import approval
> process.
>

>>This would be an exhaustive list, since we can't possibly know every
dataset that is inapropriate, just as we can't don't have an >>exhaustive
list of what is appropriate for OSM, but generally the data we want is
independantly observable and "generally useful". The >>"generally useful"
category is pretty flexible- we have people collecting data on power lines
and the various utility cabinets on the side >>of the road, but the
observable one is pretty hard and fast, which is why we aren't a good map
for people doing birdspotting, for >>example.

I do understand that you don't want to create an "exhaustive list" but I
was asking about general *base layer *datasets, like roads, waterways, etc.
If OSM were able to have full coverage of particular data sets, which would
they be? This would also help with understanding how to prioritize tasks
within any community. An example of this would be to make sure the hydro
layer was fixed before adding roads or buildings, regardless if adding them
was done through imports or manual edits. The folks that have been
requesting to add data very likely have access to datasets that OSM would
like to have and just not realize it. They might not start off with an
"appropriate" suggestion, but it might be because that was the first thing
they, as a community, thought to add without understanding OSM's needs.

-Carol

Carol Kraemer
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com