[Imports-us] [Imports] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jan 8 04:51:52 UTC 2014

From: Saikrishna Arcot [mailto:saiarcot895 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:44 PM
To: Jason Remillard
Cc: OSM Imports; Carol Kraemer; Carl Anderson; OSM Imports-US; OSM US Talk
Subject: Re: [Imports] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

> Regarding the public domain licensing, the PDF file provided with the
> data states "Freely use, copy and distribute as long as credit is
> given".

If attribution is required, it's not public domain. Attribution
requirements can easily be onerous, so it'd be nice to get some
clarification here.

> Regarding updates, I initially didn't plan on having this be updated
> with newer versions of the data, since at that time, I wasn't aware that
> there was a usable ID. Now, if there is an ID tag in the final OSM data,
> address updates may be possible depending on whether a new ID is created
> for any address change (Carl?). What may be easier is just to import any
> new addresses that are not already in OSM.

You don't need an ID tag to handle address updates, nor should you use one.
The address is sufficient information to match address changes.

> Regarding the conflation issue, the main issue I see is address nodes
> being added on top of existing buildings. For this, I could add in code
> to determine if the node is inside a building and, if so, merge the
> address data, although it looks like the addressmerge tool already does
> this.

Yes, it can handle this.

I'll probably have more technical comments on the process itself, but
since Saikrishna is revising it to use an ogr2osm translation file, I'm
holding off on any kind of detailed review.

> On 01/07/2014 09:03 PM, Jason Remillard wrote:
> Hi Saikrishna,
>
>  - You should try to contact any local mappers and ask for help.
>    http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/oooc

Saikrishna, I was looking through the area at mappers and didn't find an
obvious match. What's your OSM user name?