[Imports-us] Completion of King County Address Import

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Jan 12 06:16:09 UTC 2014

King County address import[1], originally called Seattle Import[2], needs
to be completed. Because of feedback from the NYC import, we have modified
our approach to include using the HOT Tasking Manager. Additionally fresh
data from King County will be used.

Building outlines will not be included this time. The original Seattle
Import merged address nodes with the building outlines. When the building
is torn down mappers are removing the outline and but not saving the
address information. Often this address information is reused. Without
tools to retain the address node, we feel that it is better to not merge
the outline with an address.

Another difference is dropping the tag source=King County GIS. Instead we
are including a source:addr:id = SITEID, where SITEID is a unique id used
by King County to manage addresses. While an address could be used as a id
since they should be unique, King County uses the identifier when an
address changes. For example, if an road name is changed, the SITEID would
remain the same. Currently no process exists to update based on this field,
but we feel that at some point, a need will arise to create such a process.

We plan to conduct training during the upcoming #Editathon.

[1]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/King_County_Import
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seattle_Import

--
Clifford