[Imports-us] County Road name expansion

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Jun 11 20:33:07 UTC 2014

On 6/11/2014 4:20 PM, Eric Jiang wrote:

> Address:
> addr:street=West 50 South
> Street name:
> name=County Road W 50 South
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Was this simply an oversight in the original import and expansion?
> 2) Would this be a good candidate for bot fixup? It seems like a regex
> wouldn't be so hard.

   The original import and expansion took a conservative approach, and
limited automatic expansion to common directional names which were also
crosschecked by the TIGER attributes and matched the formats most widely
seen in the US.   This example which contains 2 directional names would
not have been touched by automated expansion.

   If you are very familiar with the naming conventions in the
organizations which assign the names, a regex might be the best solution
for you.  Of course everyone is afraid of an accidental expansion of
"County Road W" to "County Road West", but you may be able to quickly
confirm locally that no single-letter road names are assigned.

   A related issue that you might already be addressing is that the
addr:street value should match the road name for Nominatim to work.   I
wouldn't necessarily expect it to match without the same "County Road
West 50 South" in both.