[Imports-us] DWG Action on Blacksburg, VA Building and Address Import

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:04:12 UTC 2014

Folks,

The DWG has been informed of a bad import in Blacksburg, VA.

There are a large number of building changesets, but there seems to be
only one address changeset that I see, which is:

The buildings and addresses are in separate changesets by the same user.

This import has a number of problems, including:

* There's no documentation on it on the wiki
* There's no license information for the data source(s)
* The addresses are often duplicated
* The addresses don't generally fit the OSM addressing scheme (in a
number of ways)

I'm reaching out to the US community to see if we can come to a
resolution on it that doesn't leave the map without this building and
address data for this town.

To that end, someone needs to "adopt this import" and either fix it
up, or handle it once the data's been removed.

I've done some web digging and found what I think to be the original
data sources for this import:

http://www.gis.lib.vt.edu/gis_data/Blacksburg/CDfiles.htm

There's no license on the page, or in the data files that I saw, so
the first step (before anything technical) would be to get the license
in order. From there, they'd need to come up with a strategy for
fixing the data in OSM (whether that means fixing it or starting from
scratch).

Like I said earlier, this is a situation where the DWG's position is
that the data needs to be removed for license reasons especially, but
we're trying to see if the US community can resolve this (assuming
that we can get a license for the data), so that there's no data loss.
In fact, if this is done right, it should result in higher quality
data for the project.

I'm sending this feeler out to see if someone will pick up this and
run with it (especially the license part). If not, I think we need to
delete this data *fairly* soon, so if I don't hear anyone picking this
up by Dec 5th (a little over 2 weeks), the building and address data
will be deleted.

Thanks all; I'm sure someone will pick this up.

- Serge