[Imports-us] [Imports] New Orleans: importing buildings and addresses

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Oct 23 02:19:41 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Matt Toups <mtoups at cs.uno.edu> wrote:

> I think what you are describing is exactly what I'm doing. Are you saying
> you regret how the Seattle addressing was done?

Not at all. Addresses are messy. For example, you can have a building with
one address, but multiple units, i.e. A, B, C. Each should be tagged as a
node with POI information. I'm also convinced that the address node is
actually just the centroid of the parcel polygon which results in nodes
outside of the footprint. I still think an import is better than a manual
survey.  Counties actually do a good job getting the address correct.
Mainly because the bill property taxes but also because E911 services often
use the same database.

We plan to do the same thing with Bellevue, WA import, which I hope to
start early next year. Plus the small city I live in as offered addresses
and outlines. So that's also in the works.

Good luck,
Clifford

--
@osm_seattle