[Imports-us] [Imports] New Orleans: importing buildings and addresses

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Thu Oct 23 10:50:49 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-22 16:39, Matt Toups wrote:
> There are a small number of streets with "Rue" in the STREET field, with
> no TYPE field. These come out fine with no expansion: see houses on "Rue
> Delphine" in ward 15, precinct 18A. (Aside: you might think the "Rue"
> streets would be in the French Quarter, but you'd be wrong: they're all
> found in recently built subdivisions on the westbank.)

In the French Quarter, you only find "Rue" in fine print above the
(usually unrelated) English street name. Thus name:fr. (We should go
through sometime and add old_name:es to these streets based on the
historical markers.)

> You're right, I'm not expanding ST to Saint. I never see this written
> anywhere, I think the street names are officially "St Philip" etc on all
> tax/legal/etc documents I've seen. Some would argue it is improper to
> expand ST to Saint, for example here:
> https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/19609/saint-or-st-is-there-an-official-osm-policy

But that discussion mainly pertained to British usage. Between St.
Louis, Sault Ste. Marie, and Mount Saint Helens, I'm not sure the U.S.
community has much of a consensus yet.

> I'm leaning toward keeping the spellings as ex. "St Philip" in keeping
> with what's on the ground here. But we kind of have the worst of both
> right now: some Saints have been expanded by bots, others haven't.
> Here's an extreme example I just found of inconsistencies intersecting
> each other: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/29.92865/-90.06907

Oh, I just went through New Orleans the other day and expanded a bunch
of prominent St's by hand. [1]

I've gone back and forth about this issue in the past, especially when
it comes to the many Saint Clair Townships named after Gov. Arthur St.
Clair (whose last name is a corruption of Sinclair).

If we do decide to abbreviate, I'd prefer "St." with a period. But
that's probably just opening a whole 'nuther can of worms.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/26248282

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us