[Imports-us] City Building Import

John J Czaplewski jczaplew at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 03:12:21 UTC 2014

Greetings!

I'm an experienced mapper, but novice OSM contributor, and am looking to
greatly improve OSM in my area. I recently noticed that the building
footprints in Madison WI leave a lot to be desired, and often times are
just wrong. However, in other places, such as on the University of
Wisconsin campus, coverage is fantastic.

I did some digging and found a shapefile published by the city of all
building footprints and would like to use it to enrich the map. However,
I'm not sure what is the best way to import this data. I'd like to replace
existing features that are low quality, add nonexistent features, and leave
other existing features as-is. I should also mention this data only
contains geometry and no additional attributes about the buildings, so in
all cases where there is an existing feature with some attributes, I would
like to preserve those.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this type of situation? Thanks in
advance!

John