[Imports-us] Imports-us Digest, Vol 26, Issue 2

Michael Schnuerle mschnuerle at codeforamerica.org
Thu Mar 26 14:08:03 UTC 2015

Elliott,

That project sounds awesome and you've done some great prep work!

I am leading a similar effort in Louisville KY:
http://tasks.openstreetmap.us/job/50
https://github.com/civicdata/louisville-buildings
http://www.civicdataalliance.org/gis-open-data-american-printing-house-open-street-map/

Feel free to repurpose our detailed Contributor Guide, which had been
heavily modified (lots more details, JOSM tips, scenarios, and
screenshots) from the New Orleans import, which in turn was an
improvement on the New York import:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Louisville,_Kentucky/Building_Outlines_Import/Contributor_Guide

1) So you are loading every non conflicting building into OSM first,
before the Task Manager work starts, and only using TM for conflicting
addresses and outlines?  That's nice, and wasn't aware that was allowed
because of potential data quality issues, POI merger, duplicate
addresses, etc.

If it's ok to do, can you provide more details on how you did that mass
import?  We are 40% done with our city but would benefit from doing the
same for the remaining 60%.

2) On a side note, how can the tasks.openstreetmap.us site get updated
to version 2.9+ instead of the version 1 it's on?  The current version
is buggy and lacks some usability features (invalidated tasks
differently, bigger map, highlighting who did what) the new version
has.  Example: http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/923 - If it can't be
upgraded, I'd recommend deploying version 2 to your own servers and
working from there.

Thanks!

*Michael Schnuerle* | Code for America Louisville Brigade Captain
/e/ mschnuerle at codeforamerica.org | @CivicDataAlly
<http://www.twitter.com/CivicDataAlly>

CivicDataAlliance.org <http://www.civicdataalliance.org/> | Open Data
Portal <http://data.civicdataalliance.org>

--- Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 23:02:02 UTC 2015

Dear Imports and Imports-US communities,

Today a dedicated team of Baltimore area OpenStreetMap supporters and
mappers are proposing an import of Baltimore buildings and addresses. The
import background and procedures are documented on the OSM wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Baltimore_Buildings_Import_2.0

The code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/osmlab/bmorebuildings

Additionally, the import has been added to the import catalog:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue#Community_Imports

The import team includes users ElliottPlack and mpetroff. The data provider
and owner is Jim Garcia with Baltimore City MOIT.

Briefly, the data comes directly from MOIT free of any license, will full
permission for import. The data is simplified, conflated where possible,
and prepped for automated import. Data that conflicts with existing data is
set aside for manual review. It is the intention of the authors of this
import to utilize the OSM Tasking Server to divide up manual review tasks.

Thanks for considerations,

ElliottPlack

mpetroff