[Imports-us] Leveraging MassGIS L3 Parcel files for assisting in manual address merging

Frederick Hunter fhunterz at verizon.net
Sat May 23 22:31:31 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I am still relatively new to OSM and have come up with what I think is a
more efficient way of adding address data to buildings using JOSM.

So far I have added a number of addresses to Maynard, MA and began
working on Concord, MA using the JOSM L3 Parcel background layer. This
has taken a very long time, and I am hoping to get some buy in for this
more efficient way of importing address data to OSM.

I created a quick overview of my idea and proof of concept on my blog
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xunilOS/diary/35076.

High level overview of what I would like to do:
1. Create .osm xml file with a towns addresses using a script and L3
Parcel data
2. Temporarily import address nodes into JOSM
3. Download a section of the town for editing
4. Merge the address nodes with buildings, verifying addresses are in
line with L3 Parcel background layer
5. Delete all the address nodes based on a unique tag I can search by
6. Upload changes to OSM
7. Using OSM Inspector check for road name mismatches or other errors.

Before using this method, I would like to gather some thoughts or things
I may want to do differently from the folks on this thread.

A few questions I specifically have.
1. Can I do this?
   - I would imagine this is no different than using the MassGIS L3
Parcel data layer in JOSM as the data is coming from the same source and
the wiki page on massGIS states it can be used as long as it is
sourced.
2. Does this qualify as a bulk import and need to go through the a
complete import review / community buy in ect.. as stated on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines.
   - The way I see it, the data is coming from the same source which
has already been approved. Also, the merging of address data is still a
manual step as I don't want to upload addresses as single nodes, but add
them to buildings. This would allow me to verify the address numbers are
in line with the L3 parcel data layer in JOSM.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Frederick