[Imports-us] Rural SE Ohio Sidewalks Import

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Aug 13 00:09:38 UTC 2016

Malcolm Meyer <mmeyer at ovrdc.org> writes:

> Basically we will follow the sidewalk proposal outlined here - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sidewalk_schema
>
> For example -
>
> highway = footway, footway = sidewalk;
> highway = crossing, crossing = uncontrolled
>
> We collected pedestrian signals so for those we would use "crossing = traffic_signals".
> We also collected curb ramp information, so for those we would use
> "kerb = flush". How to extract those as points, then merge those
> points back to the nodes of the crossings, that is something I will
> have to look into.
>
> I am looking for specific guidance for this process, more than what is
> outlined in the wiki. For anyone with prior experience on importing
> please email me directly.

I am basically pro-import, but my advice is that importing is almost
certainly harder than you think.

First, publish your raw data in the native form with a clear statement
of PDness.  By publish, I mean so that any random mapper can download
and use it.  Announce it on talk-us.  PUt a link in your state's wiki page.

Publish code to transform the raw datato OSM format.  Comment that
heavily to describe what you are doing for tags and why.  Publish code
to take that and the actual OSM database and generate .osc files or some
other way to get exactly what an import would do.  Note that at this
point, you can render your own osm+your_data maps, without importing,
and without needing permission.

Find the mappers in your state.  Meet them in person.  Ask them for
help.

When doing the above, ask for help if anything isn't obvious.

Then, return to thinking about the actual import.

(Based on helping with a building import in Mass, where many of us have
met each other in person, and some merely have been emailing for years.)