[Imports-us] Import of University of Richmond - Virginia

Holden, Taylor taylor.holden at richmond.edu
Wed Jul 27 18:29:11 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I have just joined this OSM group. I've worked with OSM data in the past but never actually edited or imported data myself. I am currently working at the University of Richmond in Richmond, VA. We're a smaller liberal arts school on the border of the City of Richmond and Henrico County. This unique location paired with being a private institution has meant that neither locality has complete data for the roads and buildings on campus, especially because our facilities department doesn't use any GIS technology. We've made a lot of construction changes over the years and so the data on Google Maps, OSM, and from the localities is all out of date (at different levels even).

We are finally attempting to join the 21st century and publish our own authoritative content for campus. We have sent the updated data to the localities, but now it is my job to also send the data to Google Maps and OSM. Would an import be the best way to go about getting our new data on OSM? If so, how should I proceed? We only have road centerlines and building footprints currently, but we will be cleaning, field checking, and updating several more datasets over the next year so hopefully we can have everything online.

Thanks for the help,
Taylor Holden
GIS Technician