[Imports-us] Fwd: [Imports] San Francisco building heights import

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 01:04:44 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brandon Liu <bdon at bdon.org>
Date: Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 2:58 AM
Subject: [Imports] San Francisco building heights import
To: imports at openstreetmap.org

Hi imports@ list,

The SF building height import team is working to add height data for
buildings in the City of San Francisco (wiki [0]). We'd like to revive
the discussion which was started back in May [1]. We now have a newer,
higher resolution height dataset from the city government released
under a CC0 license [2].

We've added some new sections to the Wiki ([0]) detailing our methods
and evaluating the data's accuracy.

We're assigning heights by matching the new building dataset with
existing OSM footprints (within 70% match) [3]. To respect the work of
local mappers we're not deleting or adding any new buildings, nor are
we replacing any existing tags - we're only adding heights where they
don't already exist. This import process will have manual oversight at
every step.

The data is available in this Tasking Manager for everyone to review:

http://tasks.openmassing.org/project/11

Please review, but don't upload. Feedback is always welcome! Please
comment here, on GitHub [4] or chat with the team in Gitter [5].

Cheers,

Maning Sambale
Brandon Liu
Elliott Plack