[Imports-us] Importing new streets for Raleigh-Durham, NC

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon May 7 15:20:18 UTC 2018

On 5/7/18 10:29 AM, Tech Admin wrote:

> I am the IT director for a building supply company in the
> Raleigh-Durham area of NC, which is growing rapidly. Our trucks need
> to deliver to many new streets that are not on Google Maps, but are
> plotted on the county planning department’s GIS systems.
>

> That system allows users to download the complete list of streets as a
> KML file, which is all public information.
>

> I am wondering if I can simply select the KML data for any new street
> and upload it to OSM?

not really a great idea.

first step would be to verify license compatibility, you need a clear
statement from the
county that they permit publication under the ODbL (note that if data is
public domain,
or published under a CC0 license (effectively public domain), the answer
is yes.)

then you need an import plan, as you can't just upload - there are
already streets in place.
you need to plan for a couple of things:

1) if you delete old streets, are you losing user contributed data?
arbitrary imports/deletes
can really tick off the volunteer base. look for a way to add new
streets without disturbing
old ones.

2) are you connecting the data up properly? lots of OSM data consumers
depend on good
connectivity data for things like routing - and you probably want
routing to work right.

3) how is the data quality? i would imagine that a county GIS department
is doing ok, but
you still should do some spot checks and quality control.

4) plan to do it in stages, double check quality, and have a fall back
plan in place just in
case.

5) there are task management tools available for chopping up imports
into manageable
chunks. doing something like this all at once is a little scary.

the import guidelines are here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import

what you can do is start documenting the import plan in the wiki, run it
past the members
of this mailing list, and we'll work with you on it. when that's done,
you would go to the
larger imports list (which is at times an unfriendly place) knowing that
you've done most
or all of the legwork.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net