[Imports-us] Spartanburg County SC road centerlines import

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Oct 22 09:00:02 UTC 2018

On 22/10/2018 05:20, Mike N wrote:
> This is a proposed import of road centerlines for Spartanburg County SC,
> based on county GIS data.   This will include a systematic review of all
> roads in the county and qualify to remove tiger:reviewed tags.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Spartanburg_county_road_center_line_import

A roads import! 🙂

There's a few lanes that are weird. lanes=7 for a 6 lane road. It's
weird that some roads have lanes on some parts, not all (e.g. "Hollywood
Street"). Maybe try to make it consistant? JOSM validator has found a
handful of topology errors. There's ~100 examples of roads that aren't
connected properly (nodes on top of each other, but not connected).

You seem to be defaulting to "highway=residential" a lot (e.g. if you
dohn;t know another, or turning 'Gravel' into 'highway=residential
surface=gravel'). I don't know a lot about tagging in the USA, but isn't
there (wasn't there) some problem with the TIGER data using residential
too much?

Can you link to your discussion with the local community, how/where did
that happen?

The link the tasking manager project doesn't work.

I'm a little unclear about one big question: What are you doing with the
existing data in OSM? Existing OSM data seems to have nearly identical
locations to this new data. You're just going to update existing OSM
data? Do you know how much existing OSM data needs to be updated?

--
Rory