[Imports-us] [Imports] Spartanburg County SC road centerlines import

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Oct 22 23:00:20 UTC 2018

On 10/22/2018 2:56 PM, Rory McCann wrote:
> Hi Mike.
>
> Thanks for the answers, that clears things up. Buuuut....
>
>> On 10/22/2018 5:00 AM, Rory McCann wrote: >> I'm a little unclear
>> about one big question: What are you doing with
>>> the existing data in OSM? Existing OSM data seems to have nearly
>>> identical locations to this new data. You're just going to update
>>> existing OSM data? Do you know how much existing OSM data needs to be
>>> updated?
>>
>>    All existing data will be reviewed.   Most of it will add the
>> surface attribute and lanes if visible from imagery and remove the
>> tiger:reviewed attribute.   So nearly everything will be modified.
>
> I'm sorry, maybe I'm having a brain fart, but I'm still confused. It
> sounds like you're going to look at all existing OSM roads in that
> county and manually review them? Just going through and fixing them up
> and removing tiger:* tags, and keeping the existing roads in OSM? That
> sounds great. But that's a regular map-a-thon, not an import. What do
> you need this new data for? If I'm reading you right, this new data from
> the county won't be used at all? Right?
>
> You're not going to *replace* the existing OSM data with this new data,
> right? You're not going to delete the existing OSM data, right?
>
> If you (& friends) are going to fix up the roads, you don't need to talk
> to this list. Just go ahead and do it! That's not an import. Just
> tracing from the imagery you created from this data isn't an import.
> That's just using a new imagery source. You can just go ahead and do that.
>
> If you want to find new roads that aren't in OSM, load OSM & this new
> data into postgres, and look for roads in the new dataset that are far
> (>10m?) from anything in OSM. Should be quicker than humans looking at
> all. 😉 (Do you know how to do that?)

   There will be 50 to 200 streets of new data used for new
subdivisions.  I suppose that I could have created sets of data for
"These might be renamed",  "These might be imported" , "These might be
adjusted" , "These might be deleted" (Because a diff doesn't identify
which one is right) , then not bothered to mention the additional review
which would indeed just be a local project.

   If this is deemed not to be an import, then we will begin immediately.