[Imports-us] Miami Address Import

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Mon Sep 17 03:29:28 UTC 2018

Hi Leif,

Thanks for your efforts on this! And Levente for your previous efforts
and now jumping back in for more!

I think we should include buildings in the import. Miami-Dade provides
560k buildings at
https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/building-footprint-2d

In addition, I think we should mine the POI data available from the
county and parcel data if needed from the Property Appraiser. They
provide several data sets relevant to the cause:

Commercial Property - 88k records of points that is mostly businesses. I
did some investigation of this layer. This appears to be either from the
tangible tax file or closely related. Business names are included. NAICS
codes are there that can be cross-walked to OSM features like
amenity=restaurant. The records also include a folio (parcel
identification number) that allows joining to the site address data
(which has folio as well). And it includes addresses on its own. An
interesting issue is the point locations do not match the address points
layer. Appears to be the result of a different geocoder utilized to get
the point locations. And there are many times more commercial property
points associated with a parcel and its building(s) than address points
associated with the same parcel. Maybe discussion with Miami-Dade GIS
folks could shed some light on this. Bottom line is the address points
layer under-represents the business (POI) points that are represented
int he commercial property layer.
https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/commercial-property

Gas Station - 699 records. Some point locations in this data set look
different than both addresses and commercial property and some match the
addresses layer. Includes the folio for joining to address data.
https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/gas-station

Hotel Motel Inn - 593 rows - includes folio
https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/hotel-motel-inn

More POI related layers from the county are available.

Parcels from the Property Appraiser - 911k records (including condos) -
folio, land use, site address, site city, site zip code, etc. Utilizing
land use codes would allow us to properly tag residential, condo, etc
buildings that are not represented in the commercial property layer. Can
grab missing zip codes and or city names from this data as well.

One other issue is some streets in Miami-Dade are referred to by two
names, and only one name exists in the address data. For example, locals
refer to Sunset Drive, but the official name in the address layer and
property appraiser data is Southwest 72nd Street. I have an older
alt_names.dbf, but need to take a closer look and see if an updated
table is available. It would be really nice to get the alt names in
there as well. This is an issue in other counties, too.

Brian