[Imports-us] Request discussion of importing election precinct shape files into Bell County Texas

David Carter dcarter204040 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 02:11:41 UTC 2019

I have studied all day and realize I must discuss my "possible project" with the community and have community approval or disapproval.

To begin with, I do not know enough to judge if my project is feasible without wreaking havoc with the OSM data.

First, I notice a line in a tutorial that OSM does not use "layers" - it uses "data"
. . . If it DID use layers, I'd propose putting these precinct boundaries in a "layer" that could be turned on or off.

There are 48 contiguous precincts in Bell County.  I have obtained a zip file with the .shp shape files for all the precincts in Texas.   I propose to unzip, select the 48 precincts for Bell County, and have a thin yellow line outline each precinct
. . . . . . . Objective would be to zoom the map until all or most of a "target" precinct was touching the computer monitor's screen, then take a screen shot and print it as a "precinct map".  Then zoom in on neighborhood segments of the precinct for use by the planners and assigners of of "walk routes" in neighborhoods, and for use by the block walkers/volunteers to use.
. . . . Or, paperless, the planners and block walkers could pull up the map on their mobile device they have the precinct voter list on.  That voter list data/spreadsheet info for all 48 precincts is already in Google Sheets in the "cloud".

Your thoughts?

David Carter
cell 409-718-2268