[Imports-us] I made a big mistake

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Jan 2 23:52:24 UTC 2019

Crystal,
Easy mistake to make - you'd have to somehow know to go looking for import
guidelines.

Unfortunately it appears another user reverted your work, only bothering to
mention that it's being reverted. It would have been nice if they could
have at least help you out with some suggestions on how to do an import.

The guidelines can be found at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines.

Main points
1. Talk to the local OSM community (and get them involved!!)
2. Make sure your data is licenced suitable for import into OSM.
3. Create an wiki page for your import to disclose tags, source, area, etc.
4. Use a dedicated OSM import account.

Best,
Clifford

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 2:12 PM Crystal Williams-Brown <
crystal.williams.brown at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working with a team to build an app that will provide handicap
> accessible pedestrian routes to North Carolina citizens and hopefully, all
> of America someday. We plan to use OpenStreetMap to get the data for making
> routes.
>
> We've been having mapathons to add data to OpenStreetMap. However, we also
> received sidewalk data for a few cities in NC, from the cities themselves.
> The person who was supposed to work on importing that data for us never
> did. So I decided to see if I could upload it to OpenStreetMap today with
> JOSM. I was able to get the data for Durham uploaded but realized after
> talking to a team member that I was supposed to do all these steps before
> importing so I'd have approval.
>
> I requested a review when I was uploading, I don't know if that halts my
> changes.
>
> I'm very sorry. I will follow the steps now. I could use some
> guidance since I'm completely new to GIS and JOSM. I am a Rails programmer.
>
> --
> Crystal Williams-Brown
> crystal.williams.brown at gmail.com
> Call: 252-767-7123