[Imports-us] Wake County missing buildings import | Re: Three upcoming imports in Wake County, NC

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Jan 11 10:48:47 UTC 2019

On 10/01/2019 03:35, Leif Rasmussen wrote:
> Import #1: Wake County missing buildings import
> Ten years ago, James Umbanhowar imported all large buildings (not
> including many small sheds and similar) in Raleigh, NC.  Many new
> developments have been built since, and there are currently
> 35,000 buildings not in OSM.  Using the JOSM validator (which finds and
> lets you select overlapping buildings), I have created a file with only
> missing buildings.
>
> Number of buildings: 35,000
> Link to data:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gUTFROeaNRvmKam3yNmF9UaJFBEcXBal
> Wiki page:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wake_County_North_Carolina_Building_Import
> License for data: Public Domain

Hi Leif,

I'm not sure about the licence, what makes you think it's public domain?

The licence says: "The City of Raleigh reserves the right .. to require
the termination of any and all displaying, distributing or otherwise
using any or all of the data for any reason including ...". Doesn't this
make it not open data?

Can you tell us what you have done to verify the accuracy of the dataset?

As well as overlapping buildings, have you checked for buildings
intersecting with roads or other areas (e.g. pond, car park). I found a
few errors like that. JOSM validator still finds overlaps in your
cleaned dataset.

I suggest adding import=yes tag to the changeset too. BTW JOSM's search
supports "new" so you don't need "id:0"

Hope that helps,

Rory