[Imports] OSM data import

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 14:54:26 BST 2009

2009/8/26 Thomas Wood <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com>

> 2009/8/26 Niran Beharry <nbeharry at citsas.com>:
> > Good Day,
> > I was searching the OSM mailing list and i got your email there. I'm from
> > Trinidad and Tobago, I have all the Street Map Data as well as some
> others
> > for buildings and the like in ArcGIS shp file format. Are there any tools
> > that would allow me to import that information into OSM ? I was intrested
> in
> > doing an open server for users here but I figure licesening the data for
> OSM
> > will be to the greater benefit of the overall community. If you can
> provide
> > and pointers or assistance as to where to proceed it would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> > Best Regards,
> > Niran
> >
> > --
> > Managing Director
> > Caribbean Interphase Technology Systems and Services (CITSAS)Limited
> > 3 Freeling Street
> > Tunapuna, Trinidad & Tobago
> > Telephone +1 868 782 9995
> > Website  www.citsas.com
> >

> Thank you for the offer of data for the project. Provided it is in a
> licence suitable for the project, there should be no reason why it
> cannot be imported.
>
> I personally have very little experience of converting shp files into
> the OSM format, however I'm confident that others on the imports
> mailing list (copied in) may be able to help.
>
> As far as I can tell, there are currently 3 different conversion tools
> for shp->osm, each will need some configuration so the converted
> features are tagged correctly.
> All are documented to a varying degree here -
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shp2osm
>
> Once a .osm file has been created it can be uploaded to the database
> using a tool such as bulk_upload.py
>
> Feel free to reply with any further queries.

Hello, I have a version of polyshp2osm.py not yet submitted that is capable
of producing 0.6 OSM files with support for advanced multipolygon. I have
some experience about transferring data from SHP to OSM (I am working on the
european land cover import for France, which should be be ready to upload
soon now).
I produced import scripts that is checking already existing features in
order to upload only acceptable data. I need to update the wiki page but
some information can be found there.

Emilie Laffray