[Imports] Latitude and longitude tags and other TIGER 2009 import issues

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 29 12:08:43 GMT 2009

Hi,

Alan Mintz wrote:
> They seem to be mostly (all?) on imports of TIGER 2009 data, which has a
> couple other apparent issues[1]. I looked at one node, contacted the user
> named in the changeset and got a reply that did not lead me to think that
> they intended on fixing the issues.

Someone who imports stuff and then doesn't feel responsible for fixing
obvious problems with it should not have imported anything in the first
place. OSM is not the scrap heap for the world's geodata. I hope you
have made that clear to them ;-)

> Is there a generic "fixbot" that can do these kinds of tasks? Is there one
> running somewhere that can be given fixes of this type?

Automated editing of any kind is a contentious issue in OSM and should
only be done after reasonable consultation. There is a guy in Germany,
user name Xylome, who regularly runs a bot called "xybot". I believe
this bot also does typos etc., but it has often been criticized in the
past for its rogue-ness.

Bye
Frederik