[Imports] [Talk-ca] Toronto Potential Datasource

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 02:44:17 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Andrew MacKinnon <andrewpmk at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Sam Vekemans
> <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi All,
> > It looks like the City of Toronto just joined in the cool-club :-)
> >
> > Thanks to user:Aude who looks to be a wikipedian... maybe could fix my
> > ramblings? :-)... lol ... maybe not..
> >  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Aude
>
> Great, so I wasted the last several years mapping Toronto :)
>
> (I am exaggerating here, because there is a huge amount of data which
> simply isn't available in these datasets, and must be added manually.
> For example, the location of shops and other businesses.)
>
> <snip>

You did a super job :)

> The CanVec data is junk compared to the City of Toronto data, so I
> think we'd be best off not importing it at all.

maybe 'junk' is not accurate... perhaps just "could be better"  would be
better :)

... this is why i have the .osm file available for the local team to decide
on what they want to copy into OSM. (BTW, there ARE other features in canvec
(total 89 features) that might not in the toronto set.

> Since this is such a complex job, I think that we need to arrange some
> sort of meetup (either in person or on IRC)

As far as actually converting the data to .osm format, i can do that for you
all (relatively easily).
 .. and i can make these .osm files available... And for the features i cant
convert to .osm format, someone else who is skilled in python & the
PostGISmagic, will be able to make the .osm files available for you all to
play with.

> to discuss how we will do
> this import.

And yes, thats what the team is for, to take a look at the .osm files in
JOSM... and see  and mark down what features are worthy to copy in, and what
aren't... and what method is easist.  (postGIS-automatch or manual copying).
.. and deciding who wants to work on what.

This process is really needs only a few local people, as each of the
contributors become the 'care-taker' of the data.. and are responsible for
ensuring that whatever data they they copy-in, they are aware of what they
are doing.

... so it becomes the local people who discide what they want to copy in.
So at my -end, i remove myself from the 'import'.... because all i am doing
is making a carbon copy of the source data. .. a direct tag match.
(literally download from NRCan / convert / Zip / upload to NRCan)
 Where if people see errors in this 'direct-match' that was done and think
more/less tags need to be added/removed, then thats a change for the
conversion script happens, and the tiles get re-converted. (would be on a 6
month basis, for sanity)

And regarding the "import script", it becomes a choice of 'eitlhor
ocal-bulk-import' or manual-bulk-import.  .. but the actual importing is
done locally. ... or even if you want to skip the converted .osm files and
use the source files, and make your own postGIS conversion.  That's why the
source files are included in the .zip

So ya, im working on CONVERTIING the various area of Canada data, and making
these files available. ... then someone else (or maybe me, if knowone wants
to) can open up the files and choose what to upload, and then upload it.

> Andrew MacKinnon

So i hope this helps, let me know if you want me to convert the data to .osm
sooner than later.

Cheers,
Sam

P.S. Havent all the roads already been automatched and imported?  I it looks
like it would be some 'sliding over', and adding in more attributes where
available & needed.

& Geographic boundaries dont ever actually touch things in the phsycal
world. (they might just-so-happen to be directly on-top), so it could be
moved over 5cm if needed to select it.
.. so then we have a 10cm 'neutral zone', with 5cm on eithor side of the
road centerline that makes the boundaries? :-)