[Imports] canvec-to-osm 0.9.6 now available

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 03:28:17 GMT 2009

Hi all,
The script is now available for review.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jjyzj1mwvmm/canvec-to-osm script_v0_9_6_0.zip

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canvec-to-osm

In 2 weeks it will be out of beta and reached its max potential ie. My
own MAX technical ability. :-)

The biggest change in it is the items prefixed with "EXTRA_" where
those features that need 'extra' care, can be dealt with, using a
python script.

This python script is yet to be made 'canvec2osm.py' its open to
anyone to make, and i recommend that who ever does, its ONLY 1 person
who is in charge of maintaining the script.

Ideally (that person) would use my canvec-to-osm.bat file as the 1st
part of the routeen, then after, using python script to convert the
remaining shp files from the canvec dataset into OSM format. (but of
course, thats upto the descretion of that person) :-)

The list of those features are indicated in the readme.txt file
(mainly the features that have multi-polygons)

re: FTP upload, (most probably) the person who is running the
canvec2osm.py script will be the one who is making these files
available (then i'll just use mediafire) as it's easy.

This way, it will allow me to move on to the next project, and just
use the canvec-to-osm script and get the .osm files available (on
request) & uploaded, as i go along (updating the Google Docs chart)

The README.txt file explains details.

So my focus in these last 2 weeks is to make sure that ALL the OTHER
features are converted correctly.

I'm now running the script for the main (most populas) areas, in hopes
to find volunteers to check the beta (conversion output osm files) to
make it better. (and for those areas that i already converted before)

Cheers,
Sam
--
Twitter: @Acrosscanada