[Imports] [Talk-us] [Talk-ca] TIGER considered harmful

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Nov 16 03:03:24 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Peter Batty <peter.batty at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the Karlsruhe schema is good where you are trying to model addresses
> pretty precisely and you're not expecting major updates to the street
> network. But I think with the TIGER data we have a different situation. And
> like I said, the two aren't incompatible, you can use a simpler approach on
> the basic TIGER import (however we decide to implement it), and add data in
> Karlsruhe format if you want to add more precise addresses later.

The two complement each other, in fact.  If the TIGER data says that
the houses on a block run from 2-100, but the actual situation is that
they run from 2-20, you can put 2-20 in the Karlsruhe schema and leave
the TIGER data as is.  Then if house 22 gets added on to the end of
the block, and someone asks the geocoder where it's located, the
geocoder can at least say "well, it's supposed to be on this block"
rather than "sorry, house doesn't exist".