[Imports] Shp2OSM : various questions

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 19:21:01 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Lennard <ldp at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Emilie Laffray wrote:
>
> > The node merging step was done with a Java program, just after the
> > generation of the OSM file. The shapefile that we were getting were
> > shapefiles built out of the database that we sorted. I really need to
> > finish the write up about the Corine Import.
>
> Okay. I had already written some node merging perl code before, when the
> validator node merging in JOSM still was excruciatingly slow at medium
> to large datasets. That was an increase in runtime of about 4 hours in
> JOSM to 5 seconds in perl, in my first case.

Is that 'validator' run AFTER the file has been converted? or  during the
process??

> So, what did I miss in the svn vs. your tweaked version of polyshp2osm? :)

And Ian,
I (think) it's Christopher Schmidt, according to the blog.  As i think that
the original shp2osm was also created by hi <crschmidt at crschmidt.net>m (but
now it's all a blur as many others have made derivatives of it :)

http://crschmidt.net/blog/archives/354/polyshp2osm/

Anyway, We should hold a Skype conference about this topic.
there is also http://tinychat.com/  which looks pritty easy to setup.
Using 'VHCapture' it's possable to share whats going on on your screen
(instead of the camera video).  This way, people can demoe what they are
talking about.
(i'll be hosting a uStream.tv broadcast to test it out)

I'm happy to host it. Skype 'samvekemans'

Hows sunday nov 22nd at noon PST (3pm EST) .. and 8 or 9pm Europe Time?

Cheers,
Sam