[Imports] [Talk-ca] Modifying GeoBase Ways.

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Nov 20 13:56:27 GMT 2009

Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> writes:

> I want to take what Sam has said out of context here, so this isn't a
> question of Geobase/Canvec, let's consider the wider issue of
> attribution on imported data. Should the attribution be on the
> geo-features (nodes,ways,relations), or on the changeset, on the wiki,
> all three, or a combination?
>
> My take on it is that is should not be on the geo-features, but it
> should be on the changeset (and the wiki if you like). My reasoning is
> that we don't store attribution for normal contributors on the
> geo-features, so we should be consistent with imports. When a
> contributor creates a new way we don't add tags to the way to say who
> contributed it, so I don't think we should add attribution tags to
> ways etc for imports. I think it's fine to say that such meta-data
> should, if used at all, go into the changeset information instead.
> (Actually, to keep the parallel the same, it should go into the user
> account, if a dedicated account is used, but that's something I'm less
> bothered about).
>
> Let's take the case of the software used: Nowadays we put the
> created_by tag on the changeset, for example, whereas in the past all
> imports (e.g. TIGER) have put the details of the software used in tags
> on the features. I think (hope?) we all agree that there shouldn't be
> a created_by:bulkupload.py on the geo-features any more. So I think we
> can change our recommendations for where the attribution should go
> too.

Separately from attribution, we should think about metadata from the
import to be used for later re-importing, a la cvs import again on
vendor branch and merge to trunk.

I agree that the created_by tag isn't useful, but a tag that says

source=canvec_import_20091120

or some such on the point/way/relation can be used to see if the way has
been edited since import, and to find the original data for the 3-way
automated merge (someday).  It being only on the changeset seems
awkward.