[Imports] Sorting changes

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:20:28 BST 2009

Hi,

2009/10/16 Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use a couple of simple python scripts,
>
> I'd suggest that's the problem there - rather than trying to make the
> simple python scripts better, you'd be better off using a
> fully-fledged uploading tool and improving that if you need to. If you
> are worried about people making changes "mid-upload" then the design
> of your upload script is at fault - it should be using diff uploads,
> not running thousands of discrete API calls and trying to get the
> sequencing correct.

Let's take an example again, when you have a changeset of 200k
elements you can't upload it in one atomic go (and even perhaps 10k
elements is a little high).  Whether you use upload.py (from
http://www.openstreetmap.pl/balrog/bulkupload/) or bulk_upload.py or
.php, it'll be split it many discrete API calls.  IIRC bulk_upload.py
splits at 1500 elements.  What would you call a fully-fledged
uploading tool?  One that runs directly on dev?

Cheers