[Imports] [OSM-talk] LINZ import

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 00:47:52 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 16 April 2010 09:18, Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Create a WMS layer for the complete dataset & trace from it.
>
> The problem with WMS layers is you loose the meta information that
> already exists, or you need to do a lot of work to add it after
> tracing.
>
> > More community can help that way. :-)
>
> WMS layer isn't the only option, and in my opinion not the best one as
> you loose all the meta information.

Yup... i knew you were going to say that...

If you want the meta data, you can have it in a separate database. :)   And
donate all your corrections back to the source provider.

Using the FME GIS application from SAFE.  This product provides that option.
(All i know is that it works.. but i dont know how it does) ... others do.
http://www.safe.com/

Natural Resources Canada will be using it as a way to enhance the source
dataset with the more accurate OSM data, and creating a DIFF dataset.
(which shows the difference between the source versions, so then the next
available dataset will be much smaller, as it only includes the 'missing
data' )

And in return for that, Natural Resources Canada is creating .osm files the
size of nice NTS tiles (and smaller quad-tree tiles) ie. .1x.1 degrees for
those areas with a hi-density of data.  (so local people can view all of the
features into a single combined .osm file)

Osmosis can also do this, but i think an algorithm still needs to be made to
line up with degree tiles. (which tile-splitter can possibly help).

I hope im saying that correctly.

So using a combination of both, the WMS layer from the source data & the
.osm files.  It should make for more happy campers all around.

Cheers,
Sam

p.s.  Some folks on the main #osm IRC chat might be happy discuss it also
:-)