[Imports] Designated Wilderness area import

Erik Burrows erik at erikburrows.com
Sun Aug 8 23:49:55 UTC 2010

Importers,

Based on feedback from people on this list, I've changed my process for
the US Wilderness data set from using ogr2ogr for the SHP->OSM
conversion to using poly2shp. I had to heavily modify poly2shp to handle
the type of multipolygons in the wilderness.net data set, but it is now
working, and a sample (one wilderness polygon) has been uploaded to the
OSM database.

Following the Importing Guidelines Wiki page, I've created the following
objects:

"USWilderness" OSM user, which will own all the data:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/USWilderness

Wilderness.net data import description page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wilderness.net

Added the above page to the import catalog:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue

For group discussion/approval, I followed the process to upload the
"Mojave Wilderness" areas to OSM, as seen here:

Each of these wilderness areas is a single legal entity, so I created
them each as "outer" members of a relation that shares all of the same
tags as the individual areas.

Please let me know what you think, if I should change my process at all,
change the tagging scheme, etc.

There are 753 unique wilderness areas, many of which are multipolygons
as above.

I expect to process and upload each wilderness area individually,
ensuring no conflict/duplicate/etc of existing data.

-Erik