[Imports] importing NYC building shapes

Simone Cortesi simone at cortesi.com
Mon Aug 16 08:00:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 05:33, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Vaidila Kungys <vaidila at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to import the shapes of NYC buildings to OSM. The public data is
>> maintained by DoITT and available at NYC Datamine, data download:
>> http://www.nyc.gov/html/datamine/html/data/terms.html?dataSetJs=geo.js&theIndex=34
>
> They appear to only anticipate including the data in an application
> and have restrictions related to that.  Their terms of use make no
> mention of including the NYC datasets in another database.  Other
> terms would be required to include this data in OSM.
>
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/datamine/html/terms/terms.shtml

It might be worth filling the online form and letting the city know
about this import idea. Our use might be covered.

I've seen several times that municipality seek this "integrity" rule
just not to be pointed as the one that were providing bad data when
those data end up messed up in a completely unrelated application, or
an application which makes use of older versions of the same data.

--
-S