[Imports] ourFootPrints.de data import has started

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 21:48:41 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 20:19, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>>
>> Aside from doing some minor tweaking on highway classifications (e.g.
>> motorway -> trunk) this dataset is pretty much ready for importing
>> into the live database. Any comments on that?
>
> Austria has not had the best experience with the kind of "shadow tagging"
> you are suggesting here. The import was ages ago and still the database is
> littered with "highway:plan.at=*" objects.
>
> (Also, they mungled the highway tags but left the name tags alone, leading
> Mapnik to render ghost roads like on this picture:
> http://osm.org/go/0JIs9Kh2z-)
>
> I'm just saying - if a speedy cleanup is desired, I would import everything
> with proper highway tags and accept that the map looks a bit chaotic for a
> while, rather than have the stuff lying around forever.

It's been one month since the ourFootPrints import was performed.
Here's a status update.

 * I imported 8,337 ways initially
 * 2.604 of these are now left untouched with the temporary tags, i.e.
we've merged 2/3 of the data into OSM proper

In our case doing this sort of shadow import where all the imported
values are given temporary tags went very well.  It's really easy for
anyone to download any area of Iceland (or the whole country dump) and
start merging in the data that hasn't been added yet.

And since the tags we used weren't known to any data user our tiles
and GPS exports were completely unaffected, aside from new & validated
data trickling in each day.

Here are some instructions on how to do that for anyone that's interested:

    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Iceland/ourFootPrints