[Imports] [OSM-dev] USGS VGI Workshop: Worldwide Geographic Names

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 05:52:54 GMT 2010

Hi David,

moving the thread to imports list

Just did a quick check on some places I know and lat/lon  might be good enough for import. elevation is wrong for all poi or doesn't exist. Names are wrong too and the ADM1 code is all but correct for many features.
line/area features are represented by a point only. this is good enough to render some labels on a map but of limited use for a project like osm
technically an import is easy and can be done with a little perl or phyton scripting quickly. Only a translation table of attributes into osm tags is required.

The challenge here is osm is primarily a community project and in many countries this will create tons of conflicts with existing data. without local knowledge and verification a plain import will do more harm than good. user created data should always be considered more valuable than imports of unknown quality.
I see different options to make use of it

1) import it in a "hidden" form only. all tags have to be unique from existing and supported tags in renderer, routing and other commons consumers of osm data. local community can verify and convert tags to official tags. In empty areas without better dat anyone might do this.
This approach was used for imports in Iceland.
For some really well mapped countries even this shouldn't be done since it doesn't add any value and add disturbs local mappers.

2) verify each point before upload against existing data. This is quite tricky and requires fuzzy matching in multiple languages against POI, line and area features conflict resolution opens a can of worms … to make it really useful matching has to be done on all tags. some of the attributes in this dataset will for sure not contain the richness of local meanings and used osm tags.
For a real GIS expert setting up such a system could be very useful for other imports too. I think corine import did part of it in postgis.

3) do all the scripting and convert to osm format and provide it for download to local mappers for verification and upload to osm.