[Imports] ArcGIS 10 will have OSM import, export and editing tools

David C. davetuu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 07:15:19 BST 2010

Theoretically,  an experienced GIS practitioner could use spatial
analysis/processing
to programatically validate the data on a far larger scale than can,
say, JOSM (though with ESRI
products--unlike, say, Manifold or qGIS/GRASS--those tools may be
costly extras).

Practically speaking there's an impedance mismatch between the
traditionally rigorous data modeling
used in GIS, and our wild-west tagging schema, that makes this challenging.

(I am experimenting with using postGIS to check candidate import data
against existing OSM data,
but progress is slow due to various factors.)