[Imports] How to run Java shp-to-osm?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 20:58:30 BST 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Alan Millar <am12 at bolis.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in importing NHD for my area.  I came across this
> message:
>
> > The shp-to-osm Java app I wrote has a more complete set of NHD
> > conversion rules
>
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shp-to-osm.jar
>
> But I can't seem to get it to work.  The wiki instructions appear
> out-of-date.
>
> The zip file download links don't work (404), so I did the svn
> checkout, figuring I could compile it with Eclipse per the
> instructions.  The eclipse maven instructions don't work for me either;
> the link at m4eclipse.sonatype.org appears dead.
>
> I'm trying this on ubuntu 10.04.  Anyone got this to run recently?

This is a convergence of two problems: 1) I didn't write the wiki page and
2) I am slowly switching from my privately-hosted SVN server to Github.

The more recent code is here: http://github.com/iandees/shp-to-osm

I just updated the wiki page.

To answer your question though, you should be able to get it to run by:

1. download the .zip release file
2. unzip it somewhere
3. open a command prompt/terminal and cd to the newly-created directory
4. run something like "java -jar shp-to-osm-0.8.2-with-dependencies.jar ..."
looking at the readme for arguments.

If you are unfamiliar with Java or otherwise can't get it to run, feel free
to send me a direct e-mail.