[Imports] Inserting OSM data

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:02:26 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 22/03/10 15:00, Nic Roets wrote:
>
>> One solution is to add your own tag to the OSM files you generate e.g.
>> smartsoft_id=nnn. And publish the files for review somewhere. Then
>> scan the minutely updates at planet.openstreetmap.de for your id
>> numbers and when they appear you can delete them from your DB.
>
> I'm not sure we really want to encourage the use of our database as a
> storage space for third party identifiers like that. It could get rather out
> of hand if everybody else wants to attach their own IDs to our data.

Hello Tom,

Unfortunately it has already happened many times. Below is a list of
the third party identifiers that I have found.

Instead of banning them outright, I would be happy if we have
guidelines that (a) make it easy for us to identify them as third
party (b) make sure they don't clash with other imports and (c) make
sure they don't take up unnecessary disk space.

Regards,
Nic

tiger:uuid and others
AND_ and AND: