[Imports] Inserting OSM data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 22 20:19:30 GMT 2010

Hi,

Andy Allan wrote:
> No, it's a distraction from the real problem, which is that merging
> datasets is fundamentally hard, and needs to be approached with
> sophistication and fuzzy location-based matching (e.g. feature church,
> near this point, name something close to "all saint(')s").

+1. It gets even more difficult for relations but people are actually
starting to use the /browse/relation/xyz URL as a permalink - lots of
times on the Wiki, but also externally. If I were just a little bit more
evil than I actually am, I'd make it a habit to delete and re-create a
few relations every day just to drive home the message that IDs are not
permanent. But I can offer them no alternative, currently.

> Has anyone experienced sync working? I know a lot of people have
> imported with external IDs but I suspect that it's not going to work
> when they actually come to updating one way or the other.

I think it has been successfully used in re-importing/updating opengeodb
data in Germany and maybe other parts of Europe. But these were just
place nodes. They even had a special tag, openGeoDB:auto_update, that
would list which tags would be eligible for later sync.

Bye
Frederik