[Imports] Inserting OSM data

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Mar 27 21:29:57 GMT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Jaak Laineste wrote:
>> Is there a way to make maintenance
>> of only their specific data in OSM easy?
>
> I think we're having different pictures here. OSM is not a platform
> which you can use to host "your" data. The data ceases to become "yours"
> once it is in OSM. If that fundamental idea doesn't get across, then
> further discourse is fruitless.
>
> If they are willing to accept the paradigm shift and say: We used to be
> the keeper of the official list of museums, but now we see ourselves as
> a guardian of community museum data in OSM - checking it, refining it,
> and making sure it doesn't get damaged - then there might be common
> ground.

If only there were some model for these museum enthusiasts to follow.
Some model of interested parties curating information for the good of
the community.  Perhaps refining the information and presenting it in
ways that attract the attention of the general public.  Or perhaps
carving away some layers of the information to show some interesting
underlying structure that would not be immediately apparent to a
non-expert.

Oh!  That model could be a museum curator!  Except in OpenStreetMap,
the curators neither lock the doors nor place the exhibits behind
glass boxes and velvet ropes.