[Imports] MapQuest translation of Beijing - requesting feedback

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 23:14:30 UTC 2010

Hi,
Speaking from experience (1), OpenStreetMap is not designed to handle
an extract, where the syste is closed.

You need to work wth local mappes in the region (contact them
directly) and find someone willing to help.

Manually go through the map, and do the conversions one at a time.

Have a Mapping party, and host it via tinychat/skype so you can attend remotly.

If your interested in a 2-way map, try using geocommons.com where you
can submit your data.

Also, another option is to use geonames.org as this will be of use for
you. (CCBY data, and totally independent of OSM

Have a great mapping party. :)

The moment data is in OSM, it is part of the community project, so you
cannot take control of the data in the map.

Many others, are manually making the changes.

Cheers,
Sam

(1) With the Canada Import, Natural Resources Canada provides data as
.osm files, they cannot except osm changes back, as their dataset is
mixed sources, and they need to own the data.