[Imports] MapQuest translation of Beijing - requesting feedback

Alan Millar amillar503 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:58:55 UTC 2010

Personally, I think the project plan as proposed is pretty well
thought-out and should work quite well.

> As a project, we're not crazy about grouping edits through a proxy
> username.  That isolation from the OSM community makes accountability
> and dispute resolution difficult.

While that is true in general, I think the plan as described is a
focused, well-defined scope of name updates on existing objects, which
eliminates much of the usual nature of disputes and problems.  We
aren't talking about new roads, road changes, or wacky tagging.

>      there is no need for last century
> products like a spreadsheet.

I think that is an over-simplistic dismissal of a perfectly adequate
technology for translating a list of names.

>   I see no big problems in a web app which could deal with
> a subproject like the one you are planning to build.

No big problems, other than someone actually designing and building
it.  As the saying goes in open source, "patches/implementations
welcome".

I have a problem with this form of criticism, which I (possibly
incorrectly) interpret as someone saying, "yeah, your data is good,
but I don't want you to put it in because you aren't using the tools I
prefer".

If the spreadsheet works and is manageable, I don't think it deserves
being automatically excluded because it is "last century".  (Somebody
better inform the Google Apps developers and users that spreadsheets
are obsolete :-)

- Alan