[Imports] MapQuest translation of Beijing - requesting feedback

Thu Oct 28 05:29:02 UTC 2010

At 2010-10-27 11:58, Alan Millar wrote:
>Personally, I think the project plan as proposed is pretty well
>thought-out and should work quite well.
>
> > As a project, we're not crazy about grouping edits through a proxy
> > username.  That isolation from the OSM community makes accountability
> > and dispute resolution difficult.
>
>While that is true in general, I think the plan as described is a
>focused, well-defined scope of name updates on existing objects, which
>eliminates much of the usual nature of disputes and problems.  We
>aren't talking about new roads, road changes, or wacky tagging.
> >      there is no need for last century
> > products like a spreadsheet.
>
>I think that is an over-simplistic dismissal of a perfectly adequate
>technology for translating a list of names.

Exactly! Similarly, in a world of CAD/CAM, there are still plenty of jobs
for which pencils, paper, rulers, screwdrivers, hammers, saws, and drills
are functional and appropriate. I'm a career electronics engineer,
programmer, and database jockey. I still end up using a text editor
(TextPad rocks!) for a lot of data manipulation when it is the fastest and
easiest tool for the job.

A spreadsheet with only the necessary information on it, and not a bunch of
other data and functionality to be corrupted or accidentally triggered with
mis-keys, seems exactly the right solution. It takes a few minutes to train
the most basic of computer users to use it, too.