[Imports] new data available for albania

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 28 14:07:52 UTC 2010

Mike,

On 10/28/2010 04:01 PM, Mike Dupont wrote:
>> I don't think OSM should accept large-scale imports under CC-BY-SA any more,
>> it's just trouble for everyone.
>
> Also, I am not importing this data atm, just preparing it for usage.
> I thought you might appreciate it.

This wasn't directed at your plans specifically - I know very little
about the situation in Albania, either on the ground or in OSM, and
cannot say anything about whether the import in question is any good.

I just wanted to say, that, generally, if we have an import that is
CC-BY-SA only, what will happen is

* person spends lot of time making import
* after license change, other person spends lot of time removing data again
* still other people will be unhappy about suddenly missing data

So that's a lose-lose on all sides. (Some people have already said they
want to run OSM forks on CC-BY-SA after the license change - if one were
adamant one could import the data with them directly, rather than
creating a fleeting presence in OSM.)

Bye
Frederik