[Imports] new data available for albania

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:33:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Grant Slater
<openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
> On 28 October 2010 14:59, Mike  Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't have an agenda, but I am a believer in share-alike.
>>

> ODbL _is_ a data share-alike license.
> See point 2 of requirements:
> http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/

It is not a SA license as I understand it, it is a contract.

My points about this new contract are these :

1. who is going to host my data in the future? archive.org does not
support any strange contracts, it supports PD and cc. Why should I be
forced to use PD? I am not putting all this effort into collecting
this data to give it away, sorry. I would like to have changes shared
back, that is pretty simple, no?

2. how can I explain a new license to someone if I don't understand it
myself? How can I convince people to use something I don't understand?

3. why is the new license incompatible, and what will happen to future
data under the cc?

and finally, the point that really bothers me is this : why do I feel
that people are using pressure to change this license?

I dont like the way this is being done and I don't think that it makes
sense. I would love to understand it all much better and to be
convinced that it its the right thing to do, but at this point this
new license is totally alien to me. I have the feeling that we will be
in a bad position after this relicensing, especially  if you break
compatibility with all know licenses.

thanks,
mike