[Imports] Designing a node conflation tool (syncing data)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue Apr 5 04:40:05 UTC 2011

There's been a lot of talk about tools for merging/syncing/conflating
data with OSM, so I thought it would be useful for us to discuss
possible user interface designs for doing so. Because I'm somewhat
familiar with JOSM, and nodes should be the easiest case (though not
trivial), I've written up a short potential workflow for conflating
nodes in JOSM. If we can't handle nodes then we'll have no hope for
the much more challenging case of ways and relations!

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Conflation/Nodes

I've never used a conflation tool before, so this might be an obvious
approach to some, or perhaps an awful way to do it, but regardless I
wanted to get it written down where others could improve upon it.

I'd like to keep this focused on discussing the design of a user
interface and workflow, as well as the technical details.

-Josh