[Imports] How good can an import be?

steggink at steggink.org steggink at steggink.org
Thu Apr 7 09:42:05 BST 2011

Quoting steggink at steggink.org:

> Maybe it's dangerous to say, but I think that the growth of the Dutch
> community has been negatively affected due to the AND import. The scale
> of the Netherlands is not comparable to the US and Canada, and I think
> it would have been feasible to have the road network in the country
> mapped completely one or two years ago. As a result, the Dutch
> community is relatively small, compared to the UK and Germany. Not that
> many OSM related events are being organized, and those who are
> organized often have a low turnout.

To be clear, the AND import was discussed and agreed upon by the Dutch
community at that time (and I wasn't even registered as a OSM user).
It's only a few years afterwards that I sometimes think what the
map/community would have been if the AND import has not happened. A
typical 20/20 hindsight case...

Frank