[Imports] "readonly" tag for imported data (ask "simple" editors to not modify)?

Tue Apr 26 13:55:17 UTC 2011

Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
> [...]
> No one is saying that it shouldn't be editable.

Jan said "pass the message to editors such as Potlatch that they need not
bother editing these features". I'm replying that Potlatch will not honour
such a request, and explaining why.

> The Jan Iven's topic makes sense, and the thread should go on,
> without this kind of "I will categorily not permit". Do you own OSM?

No, but I'm the maintainer of the git repository from which the OSM copy
of Potlatch 2 is cloned. As such, any changes that are made to the OSM
instance of P2 need to pass both my approval, and upstream of that, the
approval of the OSM sysadmins. I would not admit such a change into my
repository and as such it wouldn't be passed upstream. (JOSM, Merkaartor
and such like all have their own maintainers, too - Dirk Stöcker and Chris
Browet respectively, I believe.)

Were OSMF, which as the owner of the openstreetmap.org domain name is the
ultimate arbiter of these things, to require such a feature to be
included, I would ask them to find another maintainer for the OSM
instance. An editor that says "oh, if you want to edit this, you need to
use another editor" is not one I want to maintain. Does you see where I'm
coming from?

cheers
Richard