[Imports] How good can an import be?

Muki Haklay m.haklay at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Apr 9 08:36:29 UTC 2011

So far there isn't a comparative study of the Dutch experience before
and after, and it should be possible to analyse the data to see
longevity pattersn. It's on the 'future research' list right now -
Martijn van Exel and I discussed exactly this problem recently, but we
still need to find the person who will do such analysis.
My hypothesis will be that imports doesn't influence contributions
significantly. Nama Budhathoki research showed that other factors are
more significant in motivating contributors, the Google Map Maker
experience show that people are contributing even when data is present
and the longitudinal analysis in the UK (which is now covering March
2008 - March 2011) show that places that are mapped continue to evolve
over time.

On 07/04/2011 18:40, Steve Coast wrote:
> Does anyone have any *scientific* data on this one way or the other?
>
> Muki - I figure a paper or something on the role of imports on
> community / data quality might be interesting?
>

> On 4/7/2011 1:42 AM, steggink at steggink.org wrote:
>> Quoting steggink at steggink.org:
>>
>>> Maybe it's dangerous to say, but I think that the growth of the Dutch
>>> community has been negatively affected due to the AND import. The scale
>>> of the Netherlands is not comparable to the US and Canada, and I think
>>> it would have been feasible to have the road network in the country
>>> mapped completely one or two years ago. As a result, the Dutch
>>> community is relatively small, compared to the UK and Germany. Not that
>>> many OSM related events are being organized, and those who are
>>> organized often have a low turnout.
>>
>> To be clear, the AND import was discussed and agreed upon by the
>> Dutch community at that time (and I wasn't even registered as a OSM
>> user). It's only a few years afterwards that I sometimes think what
>> the map/community would have been if the AND import has not happened.
>> A typical 20/20 hindsight case...
>>
>> Frank

Dr. Muki Haklay: Senior Lecturer in GIS
Department of Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering
University College London (UCL)
Gower St. London WC1E 6BT
T: +44 20 7679 2745
E: m.haklay at ucl.ac.uk <mailto:m.haklay at ucl.ac.uk>